With all the numerous thrilling things to see and do in Amsterdam, it’s no marvel that the town ranks as one of many world’s high vacationer locations. However, not venturing outdoors of the town would imply lacking out on wonderful experiences and sights such a 400-year previous cheese-weighing custom, a medieval village and the world’s largest flower backyard.
With loads of prepare and bus connections, vacationers can simply plan day journeys to see a few of these hidden gems. Check out these nice day journeys from Amsterdam.
Map of day journeys from Amsterdam
Utrecht is an efficient place for guests to delve into the Netherlands’ previous. This historical metropolis has been the non secular middle of the nation for the reason that eighth century. It was as soon as a very powerful metropolis in Holland till it was surpassed by Amsterdam within the Dutch Golden Age (seventeenth century).
Not too many guests enterprise the 50 km (31 miles) off the overwhelmed path from Amsterdam, however extra vacationers ought to make the time to come back to this historic metropolis. It’s been known as essentially the most stunning canal metropolis in Europe – take that, Venice! A metropolis identified for impartial considering and creativity, Utrecht is ideal for guests who benefit from the sidewalk café life, whereas trying up on the surrounding Gothic buildings.
Shoppers undoubtedly will just like the Hoog Catharijne, Holland’s largest indoor mall. Plus, this quintessential Dutch metropolis, which exudes Old World attraction, is well traversed in a day on foot.
Getting to Utrecht
- The best solution to get to Utrecht is to take a train from Amsterdam Central Station; it takes slightly below half-an-hour to get from one to the opposite. The Intercity prepare leaves very commonly. At peak occasions, one leaves roughly each 5 to 10 minutes. From the station, you’re only a quick stroll from the town middle and all of Utrecht’s stunning canals and cobbled streets.
Cheese lovers will naturally wish to gravitate to Edam, the small city the place the well-known cheese originated. This pale yellow spherical cheese, which comes wrapped in a pink paraffin coat, was the world’s hottest cheese within the 14th to sixteenth centuries as a result of it doesn’t spoil.
Spoilage is just not an issue as of late, as a result of this easy standard cheese doesn’t final lengthy sufficient across the kitchen to go dangerous. Wednesday is a good day to go to Edam, a half-hour drive from Amsterdam, as a result of the traditional cheese market occurs then, with contributors carrying conventional garb. If it’s a Wednesday in July or August, a lot the higher, as a result of farmers convey their cheese to market loaded on boats or horses.
Edam was as soon as a shipbuilding metropolis, with ships carrying cargo that included Edam cheese as a result of it may very well be traded for unique spices. The metropolis’s different predominant draw is the Edam Museum that’s positioned in a 400-year-old residence.
Getting to Edam
- As it is just a half hour bus experience away, attending to Edam from Amsterdam couldn’t be simpler. As such, it makes for an easy day-trip. Simply soar on the 314 bus from Amsterdam Central Station. The well-known cheese market is only a quick stroll from Edam bus station. Due to its proximity to the pleasant fishing village of Volendam, you may simply go to each of them in only one journey – the identical 314 bus companies the 2 of them.
The picturesque metropolis of Leiden is a must-see for its scenic, tree-lined canals which are marked with previous windmills, picket bridges and plush parks. A ship experience down one in every of these pretty canals makes for an unforgettable expertise.
There are loads of issues to see and do in Leiden such because the quite a few museums that vary from science and pure historical past to museums devoted to windmills and Egyptian antiquities. Pay a go to to the Hortus Botanicus to see its sprawling botanical gardens and the world’s oldest academical observatory. Admire the attractive structure of the sixteenth century Church of St. Peter and take a look at its affiliation with a number of historic individuals, together with American pilgrims.
Getting to Leiden
- Lying to the southwest of Amsterdam on the way in which to The Hague, it solely takes 40 minutes by prepare to get to Leiden. To attain the town middle from the prepare station, you simply cross a few pretty canals and wander alongside picturesque cobbled streets till you get to the spectacular Hooglandse Kerk and different sights. As The Hague is simply quarter-hour away by prepare from Leiden, it is rather straightforward to see each charming cities in solely someday. You might even mix it with a visit to the favored seaside resort of Scheveningen, which lies proper subsequent to it.
Travelers who don’t have time for Italy however don’t wish to miss out on a canal experience ought to head to Giethoorn, a quaint Dutch village often known as “Little Venice” or “Venice of the Netherlands.” Pretty a lot the one solution to get round this conventional Dutch village is by boat or by strolling from island to island – Giethoorn boasts 180 bridges.
The village is particularly standard with Chinese vacationers – upwards of 200,000 Chinese go to Giethoorn with its 2,000 residents yearly. Giethoorn is kind of picturesque with red-thatched homes lining the canals.
The village is kind of peaceable, with no loud noises, making it an ideal day getaway from Amsterdam, about 120 km(75 miles) away in one other world. Visitors can glide over the water trails at their very own tempo since motorboats can be found for hire – the boats have quiet electrical motors in order to not disturb the serene ambiance.
Getting to Giethoorn
- If you will have your personal automotive with you or have rented one, Giethoorn is a straightforward drive away and lies 120 kilometers to the northeast of Amsterdam. Head southeast out of the town to Almere; from there, merely observe the A6 to Emmeloord. Here, you have to flip off and take the N331, which can take you on to Giethoorn. All in all, it ought to take round 90 minutes, and a part of the journey is alongside the glittering waters of the Markermeer.
- A pleasant solution to get to know Giethoorn higher is to take a guided tour round its scenic canals and exquisite islands. With a ship tour included, in addition to ample time to discover the village at your leisure, it makes for a stunning day trip. See trip reviews & prices.
Nearly 800 years in the past, a dam was constructed on the Rotte River on the North Sea; a metropolis grew up round it. That metropolis turned Rotterdam, the most important port in Europe, not stunning for the reason that Rhine, Scheldt and Meuse rivers present entry to central Europe. Just 80 km (50 miles) from Amsterdam, Rotterdam provides so many issues for guests to see and do.
Because a lot of Rotterdam was destroyed throughout WWII, the structure is different. Travelers can take a harbor cruise to soak up the spectacular skyline. More nice views of the town may be discovered atop Euromast, at 606 toes excessive, one of many highest towers within the nation.
American historical past buffs might wish to go to Pilgrim Fathers Church the place the pilgrims worshipped earlier than departing for Plymouth Rock and the New World. Travelers of all ages will benefit from the zoo and a experience on a coach that’s a motorcar one minute and a ship the following.
Getting to Rotterdam
- From Amsterdam, it couldn’t be less complicated to get to Rotterdam; an Intercity train will whisk you there in simply an hour and fifteen minutes. A high-speed Thalys is even faster; this solely takes 40 minutes. Upon arrival, you’re only a quick stroll away from lots of its most wonderful quirky buildings and good museums.
- To profit from their time within the nation, many individuals determine to take a guided tour round Rotterdam. Some of them even embody stops on the neighboring cities of Delft and The Hague – each are effectively price visiting when you have the possibility. See trip reviews & prices.
7. Alkmaars Cheese Market
A 40-minute prepare experience from Amsterdam will convey guests to Alkmaar and its well-known cheese market custom that dates again to 1593. Every Friday between April and September, guests can watch whereas costumed cheese merchants re-enact a centuries-old follow of weighing greater than 2,000 cheeses, stacking them on sled-style carriers and loading them onto vans.
This colourful and energetic occasion is so standard and enjoyable to observe that it attracts about 100,000 spectators yearly. What’s extra, there are many stalls surrounding the market the place guests should buy Dutch cheeses like Gouda and Edammer.
Getting to Alkmaar
- As the well-known cheese market lies proper within the middle of Alkmaar, it’s simple to get there by public transport from Amsterdam. Visitors must take an Intercity prepare to Alkmaar from Amsterdam Central Station; this solely takes 40 minutes. From the prepare station, it’s a 15-minute stroll to the market. On the way in which, you cross such sights as the attractive church of Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk.
- Another choice is to take a guided tour; this not solely takes you across the bustling cheese market, but in addition features a cease on the pretty windmill village of Schermerhorn. See trip reviews & prices.
6. The Hague
With all the federal government buildings positioned right here, guests may suppose The Hague is the capital of the Netherlands. It’s not – Amsterdam is the constitutional capital although the cupboard, the legislature and the Supreme Court are positioned on this coastal metropolis.
The metropolis is also residence to most embassies and 150 worldwide organizations, together with the International Court of Justice. All this forms apart, nevertheless, a (*12*) will preserve guests busy. Only an hour’s drive from Amsterdam, the town has a vibrant evening life centered round its three predominant squares.
Not to be missed within the metropolis middle is the Binnenhof, a fancy of thirteenth century waterside Gothic buildings the place the Dutch parliament meets. Other sights to take pleasure in embody Madurodam, a miniature Dutch metropolis; Mauritshuis, with its work by Rembrandt and Vermeer; Beelden aan Zee, an underground sculpture museum, and procuring in boutiques across the Grote Marktstraat.
Getting to the Hague
- From Amsterdam Central Station, The Hague is round 50 minutes away by prepare. Once you arrive, you’ll end up only a stone’s throw away from the Mauritshuis and Vredespaleis. Trains depart commonly, so that you’ll by no means end up ready for lengthy if you happen to miss one.
- If you don’t have a lot time left within the Netherlands, you could wish to take into account taking a guided tour, as a few of them take you not solely round The Hague, but in addition to neighboring Delft and Rotterdam. This is an effective way to see all the things – from Rotterdam’s experimental structure to Delft’s well-known blue-and-white pottery and The Hague’s vital authorities buildings – all in simply someday. See trip reviews & prices.
When vacationers to the Netherlands consider Delft, their ideas most definitely flip to the beautiful blue and white pottery the town is legendary for. This tin-glazed pottery has been made right here for the reason that sixteenth century; it’s primarily based on Chinese ceramics. Vases, bowls and plates are particularly standard, so it is a place to top off on souvenirs.
But there’s extra to do on this canal metropolis than store for pottery. There’s the Oude Kerk the place Johannes Vermeer is buried, and the Nieuwe Kerk, the place members of the Dutch royal household are buried. The Renaissance-style ornate Delft City Hall is throughout from the Nieuwe Kerk; in the present day its the place civil marriage ceremony ceremonies are held.
Other websites embody the previous weighing home and an 18th century windmill that was restored to working order in 2013. Hungry vacationers can snack on Scheve Jantjes, a butter cookie that is available in a Delft blue tin container.
Getting to Delft
- Just over an hour from Amsterdam by prepare, Delft is a simple and handy day journey; you merely want to sit down again and loosen up in consolation whereas watching the world go by. Trains go away each half hour, and when you arrive, you’re only a quick stroll away from all the primary sights. Due to its proximity to the Hague, you may simply cease by the neighboring metropolis on the way in which there or again, as it’s only a quick prepare journey away.
- To come away with a higher understanding of each fabulous cities, many individuals choose to take a guided tour, as this allows you to see all the primary sights in simply someday. As it’s mixed with a go to to the Madurodam Miniature Park, it’s best for people who find themselves pressed for time however wish to see as a lot of the Netherlands as potential. See trip reviews & prices.
Bruges is a well-preserved medieval city within the northern area of Belgium surrounded by stunning canals and previous metropolis partitions. This postcard-perfect city makes a perfect day journey from Amsterdam due to its fabulous attractions and actions.
Meander alongside the cobblestone paths of the town middle to discover the historic partitions and gates. Climb the steps of the excessive tower on the Belfort Grote Markt to listen to the bells ring and see great views of the realm. Visit the Basilica of the Holy Blood, which claims to include a vial of blood belonging to Jesus Christ.
Tour the Brewery De Halve Maan to see how Belgian beer is processed and be rewarded with a free drink. Savor free samples of scrumptious Belgian chocolate on the Choco-Story Museum. Ride in a horse-drawn carriage across the previous metropolis.
Getting to Bruges
- The fantastic thing about Europe is that so many magnificent cities and sights lie so shut collectively. Just throughout the border in Belgium, you’ll discover Bruges is only a three-hour train ride away. From Amsterdam Central Station, you may take both an hour and fifteen minutes quick Thalys prepare to Antwerp, or a barely slower Intercity prepare, which takes slightly below two hours. At Antwerp, you then board a direct prepare to Bruges, which takes about an hour. Once you arrive, you have to observe the indicators to the historic middle; it’s a few 15-minute stroll by way of some pretty previous cobbled streets.
- A extra handy choice is to enroll in a guided tour; this takes you on to Bruges in a non-public coach. You’ll have commentary on the way in which telling you all concerning the metropolis and the great surroundings you cross by way of. Once there, you may both take a guided tour round its spectacular sights or discover the picturesque metropolis at your leisure. See trip reviews & prices.
Want to expertise genuine Dutch heritage? Hop on a bus in Amsterdam and journey half-hour north to the charming fishing village of Volendam. Visitors can stroll across the bustling harbor to see colourful boats and have pictures taken of themselves wearing Dutch costumes with striped clothes, high-pointed bonnets and picket clogs.
A stroll across the previous village provides many enticing sights corresponding to historic homes constructed on stilts and a wonderful seventeenth century church. Visit the Volendam Museum to be taught concerning the village’s historical past and see artifacts, classic furnishings and folks artwork.
Getting to Volendam
- Located on the attractive Ijselmeer lake, Volendam is only a 30-minute bus journey away from Amsterdam Central Station. Just take bus 316 within the route of Volendam-Edam; these go away each quarter-hour at peak occasions.
- Many individuals who go to Volendam additionally mix it with a visit to the marvelous outside museum of Zaanse Schans. The greatest approach to do that it to take a guided tour, as a non-public coach then takes you between the 2. This is a really time-efficient solution to see as a lot of this stunning a part of the Netherlands as potential. Some individuals even determine to incorporate a go to to the close by peninsula of Marken of their tour. See trip reviews & prices.
2. Zaanse Schans
Step again into Dutch historical past with an tour to Zaanse Schans. Located 20 minutes from Amsterdam within the metropolis of Zaanstad, the neighborhood of Zaanse Schans is a residing, outside museum containing a formidable assortment of historic windmills and different buildings. Here at this standard vacationer attraction, guests can study conventional Dutch life and watch varied demonstrations corresponding to cheese-processing, coffee-grinding and clog-making.
There is even a beautiful pancake restaurant right here the place guests can dine on hearty Dutch meals. Buy souvenirs right here like cheeses, clogs and miniature Zaanse homes. For a particular deal with, see all of Zaanse Schans with a scenic ferry experience across the space.
Getting to Zaanse Schans
From Amsterdam Central Station, guests wishing to make a journey to the Zaanse Schans have a few choices out there to them. By bus, it’s round a 40-minute journey on the Rnet-bus 391, and this runs each quarter-hour.
By prepare is a bit faster, because it solely takes 20 minutes, however as the closest station is Zaandijk-Zaanse Schans, you then must stroll the final quarter-hour. There will likely be a lot of signposts pointing you the best approach, so it’s virtually unattainable to go mistaken.
- Another solution to see the fabulous outside museum is to take both a half-day or full-day guided tour. This will train you all concerning the historical past of the place, in addition to allow you to pattern native merchandise and witness how conventional picket clogs had been made. As a part of the tour, guests additionally get to take a look at the charming village of Volendam, and may choose to take a ferry to the lovable and quaint village of Marken. See trip reviews & prices.
1. Keukenhof Gardens
No checklist of day journeys from Amsterdam could be full with out together with the world’s largest flower backyard, positioned close to the small city of Lisse. Attracting greater than 800,000 guests yearly, Keukenhof Gardens showcases an 80-acre advanced of outstanding gardens which are designed in varied themes such because the English Garden, Japanese Garden and Historical Garden.
Planted yearly with seven million flower bulbs, these gardens explode into spectacular magnificence every spring. To see and seize beautiful pictures of those flower gardens, plan a visit in the course of the open season that begins mid-March and ends mid-May. Situated throughout from the gardens is the Keukenhof Castle, which is opened year-round and regularly hosts occasions like festivals, music concert events and medieval festivals.
Getting to Keukenhof
Located only a quick distance away from the middle of Amsterdam, the majestic Keukenhof Gardens are slightly below an hour away from the capital by bus or prepare. When heading to the gardens, it’s a good suggestion to purchase a Combiticket; this contains entrance to the gardens in addition to the general public transport to get there and again. Depending on what choice you select, it is going to price between 25 and 36 euros for an grownup ticket – these may be purchased on-line prematurely.
By prepare, you have to head to both Schiphol Airport or Hoofddorp. From these stations, you then must switch to the Keukenhof Express line quantity 858 and 859 respectively. The bus will take you on to the gardens.
From the middle of Amsterdam, there are additionally quite a lot of buses you may take. Bus strains 300, 340, 341 and 397, for example, all take you to Hoofddorp, the place you once more must take the Keukenhof Express quantity 859 to the gardens.
- To keep away from the effort of getting there by public transport, many individuals want to take a tour to Keukenhof Gardens; this contains direct transport and means you may benefit from the tulips at your leisure with out having to fret concerning the journey again to Amsterdam. See trip reviews & prices.