The bustling metropolis of Tokyo boasts an endless number of attractions to discover. From the spectacular Imperial Palace to the Tsukiji fish markets to the eclectic avenue fashions of Harajuku, the Japanese capital is bursting with colours, sights and sounds. Fresh sushi, handmade ramen noodles and a few actually thrilling nightlife signifies that there are a lot of causes to remain in Tokyo, and plenty of guests keep inside the metropolis whereas in Japan. However, taking day journeys from Tokyo can enable for a extra complete view of Japanese tradition, delicacies and panorama. Check out just a few of those day journey concepts to see past Tokyo in your subsequent journey.
Map of day journeys from Tokyo
7. Odawara Castle
Head southwest of Tokyo for 80 km (50 miles) and also you’ll attain town of Odawara, within the Kanagawa Prefecture of Japan. Odawara is house to the Odawara Castle, a fifteenth century construction from the Edo interval. In 1950, the citadel was renovated to turn out to be a serious tourism attraction with an onsite historical past museum and commentary deck.
On show are numerous historic weapons and conventional Japanese instruments, however the perfect factor to do is head to the highest of the citadel’s tower and look out over the gardens under. In the spring, the citadel turns into a well-liked place for vacationers and Japanese residents alike, because the gardens are in full bloom with cherry blossoms.
Getting to Odawara Castle
- On the Shinkansen bullet prepare from Tokyo Station, it will probably take as little as 40 minutes to get to Odawara Castle. Just hop on in Tokyo and sit again and calm down because it whisks you to Odawara Station. Once you alight right here, it’s then a 5 to ten-minute stroll to the spectacular citadel. While a number of trains run from each Tokyo and Shinjuku Station, these usually take round double the time to get there, so it’s higher to take the bullet prepare should you can.
- As Mount Fuji just isn’t too distant from Odawara Castle, a number of folks mix the 2 into one unforgettable day journey. As effectively as seeing the enduring mountain and spectacular citadel, excursions additionally take you for a scenic cruise on the pleasant Lake Ashi. Your educated information will inform you all in regards to the superb sights as you go. See trip reviews & prices.
Lying 60 kilometers to the south of Tokyo, Enoshima is a tiny island simply off the coast. The vacation spot feels fully completely different from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, and it boasts a really informal, relaxed seaside ambiance.
While there’s a widespread Enoshima Shrine and the Enoshima Aquarium, one of the best ways to expertise Enoshima is simply to walk alongside the water. You’ll come throughout a number of scenic overlooks, tidepools, botanical gardens and even caves, to not point out loads of outside cafes with incredible views.
Getting to Enoshima
- There are a few other ways to get to Enoshima by public transport, though all of them contain one change, as no direct trains run between the 2. From both Tokyo or Shinjuku Station, take a prepare to both Fujisawa Station or Ofuna Station, which each lie simply outdoors of Enoshima. From the previous, it’s then a stunning 10-minute trip on an outdated however charming prepare to Enoshima. Regular trains additionally run from Ofuna Station to Enoshima. All in all, it ought to take round an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to get there.
- As the 2 cities of Enoshima and Kamakura lie proper subsequent to one another, many individuals resolve to take a guided tour that takes them to each locations in simply sooner or later. With knowledgeable information to take you round each cities, you’ll see all the principle sights, with Hokoku-ji Temple and the Great Buddha of Kamakura among the many many highlights. See trip reviews & prices.
The distance between Tokyo and Kyoto is a whopping 450 km (280 miles), however it will probably nonetheless be accomplished as a day journey because of the excessive velocity bullet trains of Japan. If you solely have a day to spend in Kyoto, persist with the central district.
Spend a while touring Nijō Castle, constructed within the seventeenth century and made up of two concentric rings of constructions. You may additionally discover the Nishi Honganji, a lovely Buddhist temple, or climb Kyoto Tower to take pleasure in panoramic views over a lot of the sprawling metropolis.
Getting to Kyoto
- By shinkansen bullet prepare, Kyoto is just two and 1 / 4 hours from Tokyo. You can catch the shinkansen from both Tokyo or Shinagawa Station; tickets price 13,080 Yen a method. Once you arrive, you’ll most definitely must take a bus or metro to the sights you wish to take a look at.
- Lots of people who go to Kyoto from Tokyo achieve this as a part of a sightseeing tour. You nonetheless go by prepare however these are often effectively price the price as an professional information will take you round sights corresponding to Sanjusangen-do Hall and Kiyomizu-dera Temple, explaining the historical past and tradition of Japan as they go. You’ll additionally get to take pleasure in mesmerizing views of Kyoto from a beautiful outdated hilltop temple. See trip reviews & prices.
4. Nikko National Park
Two hours north of Tokyo by prepare is Nikko, a small city in Tochigi Prefecture that’s finest identified for its nationwide park. Nikko National Park is a well-liked climbing vacation spot the place you possibly can see lakes, waterfalls and luxurious greenery on the plateau. It is especially interesting throughout the summer time, as a result of the excessive elevation interprets to cooler temperatures than within the metropolis of Tokyo.
In addition to the natural attractions like Lake Chuzenji and Yudaki Falls, there are a selection of historic architectural landmarks. Three of probably the most important that you simply’ll positively wish to embody in your itinerary are the Nikkotoshogu Shrine, the Futarasanjinja Shrine and Rinnoji Temple.
Getting to Nikko
- To get to Nikko from Tokyo may be very simple; it takes about two hours to get from one metropolis to the opposite. The quickest approach from Tokyo Station is to take the Yamagata Shinkansen or Tohoku Shinkansen to Utsunomiya Station, the place you then take the Nikko Line to town heart. From right here, it’s essential take a bus from Tobu Nikko Station into Nikko National Park. The journey takes between 50 to 80 minutes relying on whether or not you cease off at Lake Chuzenji or Yumoto Onsen.
- As you possibly can see, it’s fairly time consuming to go by public transport, so it’s possible you’ll wish to take into account becoming a member of a guided tour to save lots of time. In addition to having fun with a scenic drive there and again, you’ll go to the gorgeous Toshogu Shrine and delightful Kegon Waterfall, amongst different sights. See trip reviews & prices.
3. Mt. Fuji
West of Tokyo is Mt. Fuji, a landmark that may be seen from sure spots within the metropolis. While admiring the usually snow-capped peak from the capital is gorgeous, it is usually price escaping Tokyo for a day and visiting the mountain up shut. Mt. Fuji is the tallest mountain in Japan and an iconic landmark with great significance in native tradition.
Hiking to the summit could be difficult, and there are a number of route choices out there for hikers. Gotembaguchi is the hardest and longest route, whereas the route from Kawaguchiko fifth Station is simply as difficult however shorter. Guided excursions are sometimes one of the best ways to summit Mt. Fuji.
Getting to Mt. Fuji
- The best and least expensive method to get to Mt. Fuji utilizing public transport is to take a direct bus from both Tokyo or Shinjuku Station; these run very steadily, taking round two hours. You can get off at Kawaguchino Station, Fuji-san Station, or Lake Yamanakako, relying on what you wish to vist. To rise up to the well-known fifth Station, you’ll must get off at Kawaguchino Station and take one other 45-minute bus journey there.
- While you possibly can go to Mount Fuji by public transport, you’re in all probability higher off taking a guided tour if you wish to see as a lot of the realm as potential. This is as a result of in addition to taking you as much as Mount Fuji’s well-known fifth Station – the place you possibly can take pleasure in breathtaking views – you’ll additionally get to go for a cruise on the attractive Lake Ashi and go to the summit of Mount Komagatake. See trip reviews & prices.
Just 55 km (35 miles) south of Tokyo is Kamakura, a small metropolis that gives a mix of fascinating temples and scenic beaches. Kamakura has a staggering historical past, with proof of preliminary settlement greater than 10,000 years in the past!
Once the capital of the Kamakura Shogunate, the vacation spot was a mere fishing village by the twentieth century. Today, it would be best to take a look at the twelfth century Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu Shrine, the place weddings are held virtually each day of the yr. Then, make your method to the Great Buddha of Kōtokuin, which is the third largest Buddha statue in all of Japan.
Getting to Kamakura
- From Tokyo Station, it takes just below an hour to get to Kamakura, because the JR Yokosuka Line takes you straight there. These run very steadily and tickets price 920 Yen. You can do virtually the identical journey to Kamakura on the JR Shonan Shinjuku Line departing from Shinjuku Station. Once you arrive in Kamakura, you’ll discover that many of the foremost sights are inside strolling distance of the station.
- Many individuals who go to Kamakura choose to take a guided tour to town; with an professional information at your disposal, you’ll come away having discovered rather a lot about fabulous sights corresponding to Jomyo-ji Temple and Hokoku-ji Temple. As effectively as exploring Kamakura, excursions additionally take you to Enoshima, the place you possibly can discover the small island’s stunning seashores. See trip reviews & prices.
Southwest of Tokyo is Hakone, a mountainous area that makes for the proper day journey from Tokyo. Easily accessible from the capital by prepare, Hakone revolves across the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park. This is a hotbed of volcanic exercise, and it even affords spectacular views of Mt. Fuji within the distance although clouds and poor visibility usually block the view.
Some of the outside adventures you possibly can have in Hakone embody driving the cable automotive to the Great Boiling Valley filled with sulfurous springs, climbing across the scenic Lake Ashi or taking a dip in one of many many native onsen, or Japanese sizzling springs and spas.
Getting to Hakone
- Lying round 90 kilometers to the southwest of Tokyo, Hakone may be very easy to get to by public transport, and it usually takes about two hours to get there. Just hop on a Shinkansen bullet prepare from the middle of Tokyo to Odawara Station. Here, you’ll have to switch onto the Hakone Tonzan Line, which is able to take you the final quarter-hour to Hokane.
- Alternatively, you possibly can take the ‘Romancecar’ – a direct specific prepare that takes you from Shinjuku Station in Tokyo to Hakone. It takes round an hour and a half. Although most sights are inside strolling distance when you arrive in Hakone, you’ll must take one other half hour bus trip if you wish to go to Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park.
- A incredible method to see the gorgeous surroundings surrounding Hakone is to take a guided tour to the area. With unbelievable sights like Mount Fuji, Lake Ashi, and Hakone National Park so that you can take pleasure in, it’ll actually be a memorable day, and your information will inform you every thing there’s to know in regards to the superb pure sights you go to. See trip reviews & prices.