Switzerland’s largest metropolis could be greatest often called a worldwide monetary heart, however Zurich’s picturesque setting and cultural treasures have helped to determine the town as a trip vacation spot too. Striding the Limmat River, Zurich’s postcard-perfect backdrop is an expansive crystal-clear lake rimmed by snow-capped mountains.
Clean, organized and straightforward to discover, Zurich has so much to supply guests, and with its superior public transportation system, the town makes a fantastic base for excursions into the encircling area as nicely. From towering mountain peaks to storybook Swiss villages, listed below are a number of the most rewarding day journeys from Zurich.
7. Mount Rigi
Located within the Swiss Plateau mountain vary and surrounded by three lakes, Mount Rigi has been a well-liked cease on the European grand tour for the reason that 1800s. Offering a number of the most stunning views in all of Switzerland, the height is rightly nicknamed the Queen of the Mountains. Traveling by cog railway, guests can zip to the summit in lower than 45 minutes from the villages of Vitznau and Arth-Goldau. Cable automotive transportation is on the market close to the group of Weggis that takes guests near the summit as nicely. The views from every method supply distinctive vistas of the lakes under.
Getting to Mount Rigi
- By public transport from Zurich Main Station, it could take as little as an hour and a half to search out your self atop of Mount Rigi, gazing out on the breathtaking views earlier than you. Trains run recurrently to Arth-Goldau, and from right here, you are taking a 40-minute cogwheel practice to the highest, the place you’ll discover numerous pretty climbing trails.
- It is even faster to drive there; from Zurich, it normally takes slightly below an hour, relying on whether or not you head to Vitznau, Krabel, Kussnacht, Goldau or Weggis – numerous gateways to the mountain the place you’ll discover parking and cable automobiles or cogwheel trains to the summit. From Zurich, Kussnacht is the closest. All you’ll want to do is head south out of the town on the A4, then proceed on the E41 previous the Zugersee to Kussnacht. Here, you observe a winding street up the mountainside to the Seebodenalp aerial cable automotive, which can take you the remainder of the best way up Mount Rigi. Alternatively, you’ll be able to keep on the identical street previous Kussnacht and head to the aerial cable automobiles at both Weggis or Vitznau.
- If you’re a bit pressed for time and need to see as a lot of Switzerland as potential in simply in the future, another choice is to take a guided tour that not solely takes you to the summit of Mount Rigi but additionally across the heart of close by Lucerne. With a pleasant cruise on Lake Lucerne and a stunning cable automotive and cogwheel practice experience up the mountain included, it’s a nice day trip, and the surroundings is totally beautiful in all places you go. See trip reviews & prices.
6. Rhine Falls
Easily reached by bus, rail or boat from Zurich, the Rheinfall is likely one of the largest and most well-known waterfalls in Europe. It’s the broad width of the falls and the heavy spray of water that it generates that almost all appeal to guests. Located between the communities of Neuhausen am Rheinfall and Laufen-Uhwiesen, the Rhine Falls may be skilled from a number of viewing platforms on either side of the river. Boat rides supply adventurous spectators up-close views on the falls and the Rheinfallfelsen, a mammoth rock that splits the falls within the heart. The Laufen Castle, which has been transformed right into a restaurant, additionally affords a captivating vista of the falls.
Getting to Rhine Falls
- Lying simply to the north of Zurich, the spectacular Rhine Falls are simply reached by public transport from the town, and the journey normally takes round an hour. Just hop on a practice at Zurich Main Station and alight at Neuhausen Rheinfall, from the place you’ll be able to merely stroll to the falls or take a ship experience under them.
- Driving your self is another choice; this implies you’ll be able to discover the encircling countryside at your leisure, with Saint Gallen in Switzerland and Konstanz in Germany not too distant. Just head north out of Zurich on the A1. Once you come to the A4, flip onto it and observe all of it the best way to the Rhine Falls. All in all, it ought to take about 45 minutes to get there.
- If you actually need to benefit from your time on this great a part of the nation, chances are you’ll need to contemplate a guided tour. These not solely take you to go to the falls but additionally to see the medieval Laufen Castle, the Sixteenth-century Munot Fortress, and previous the attractive vineyards and quaint villages that characterize this a part of Switzerland. See trip reviews & prices.
- To get to Mount Pilatus from Zurich, you first need to take a 50-minute practice experience to Lucerne, then hop on a bus to the close by Kriens, which is the gateway to Mount Pilatus. It is then a brief stroll to the valley, the place you’ll discover a sequence of gondolas and cable automobiles to whisk you as much as the summit as you get pleasure from unimaginable views of the mountains. Alternatively, you’ll be able to take a 20-minute practice journey from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, the place you’ll discover the world’s steepest cog railway to take you to the highest of Mount Pilatus.
- To drive to the towering mountain takes round 45 minutes. You’ll need to park at both Kriens or Alpnachstad and take a gondola or cog railway the remainder of the best way. Head south out of Zurich and decide up the A4 then A14 heading to Lucerne. This ultimately turns into the A2 simply exterior of the town; you need to carry on it till exit 27 for Kriens, or exit 37 from the A8 for Alpnachstad.
- A preferred choice amongst many individuals is to take a guided tour to the highest of Mount Pilatus. With an skilled information accompanying you, you’ll hike alongside the attractive Dragon’s Path, take a cruise on Lake Lucerne, and revel in unimaginable views from each the summit of the mountain and the cable automotive that takes you to the highest. See trip reviews & prices.
- As common trains run between Zurich Main Station and Lucerne, it’s easy to get from one to the opposite, and the journey solely takes 50 minutes. Once you alight, you’ll discover all the town’s superb sights only a brief stroll away, as is the glistening lake.
- A stunning approach to go to Lucerne and benefit from the spectacular Alpine surroundings that lies round it’s to take a guided tour that features a journey to the highest of Mount Rigi. With a scenic paddle-boat experience on the lake and a pleasant cable automotive experience up the mountain included as a part of the package deal, the views on supply of the surroundings are bewitchingly stunning. In addition to this, free time in Lucerne’s pretty Old Town provides you the chance to discover the town at your leisure. See trip reviews & prices.
- While it does take round 4 to 4 and a half hours and quite a lot of completely different trains to get to Jungfraujoch, the journey will cross by very quickly in any respect, as you cross via the spectacular Swiss Alps. From Zurich, hop on a practice to Bern, then take one other one to Interlaken. Here, you’ll want to take a Bernese Oberland railway to Lauterbrunnen, the place you then board one other practice heading to Kleine Scheidegg. From right here, the ultimate stretch of the journey is on the Jungfrau railway to Jungfraujoch, the place you’ll be able to lastly benefit from the unimaginable views.
- If all these adjustments sound like a little bit of a nightmare, you would possibly need to go for a guided tour, as a scenic bus journey cuts out the primary stretch of the journey and takes you on to Lauterbrunnen. From right here, keep on by practice; the views of the mountains are staggering, with the panoramas from the summit of Jungfraujoch the spotlight of the tour. With a visit to the Sphinx Observatory included, it’s a nice, stress-free day trip that avoids all the trouble of getting there by public transport. See trip reviews & prices.
- To get to Liechtenstein’s capital of Vaduz by public transport is comparatively easy, and customarily takes round an hour and 40 minutes. Just hop on a practice from Zurich Main Station and alight at Sargans, which lies on the border with Liechtenstein. From right here, take the quantity eleven bus to Vaduz – or certainly, every other little city that takes your fancy, because the bus runs the entire size of the nation.
- While it’s simple sufficient to get to Liechtenstein by public transport, you’re in all probability higher off driving there, as this lets you discover the incredible surroundings and charming little villages at your leisure. From Zurich, head southeast on the A3; it will take you nearly all the best way there, as you solely flip off at exit 9 if you see indicators pointing you to Vaduz and Liechtenstein. The journey takes simply over an hour. On the best way, you cross beautiful lakes and towering mountains.
- Another choice for visiting Liechtenstein is to affix a guided tour, that not solely takes you to the Principality’s charming capital, but additionally Heidiland in Switzerland. With a educated information readily available, you’ll study all there may be to learn about Vaduz. The nature and surroundings at Heidiland is astounding. As this tour additionally features a sightseeing journey round Zurich, it affords the proper mixture of historical past, tradition, and nature, with one thing for everybody to get pleasure from. See trip reviews & prices.
- While it does take a few hours to succeed in Engelberg – the start line of your ascent to the highest of Mount Titlis – from Zurich, the surroundings from the practice window is so beautiful that the journey will fly by very quickly. From Zurich Main Station, you first have to take a practice to Lucerne, the place you then change platforms and take one other practice to Engelberg. From right here, your ascent actually begins. You then have to take a sequence of cable automobiles up the mountain to the highest of Mount Titlis. All in all, the entire journey from Zurich to the summit ought to take two and a half to 3 hours.
- Driving to Mount Titlis is another choice, though be ready to drive alongside some very slender winding mountain roads. From Zurich, head south out of the town heart and decide up the A4, which can take you to Lucerne. Here, proceed on the A2 till simply earlier than Oberdorf, when you must take exit 33 and switch off onto the scenic mountain street that can take you to Engelberg. After having loved the hour and 20-minute stunning drive, park up and hop on a cable automotive to the summit.
- If small mountain roads aren’t your factor, chances are you’ll discover it less complicated to take a guided tour to Mount Titlis. As nicely as taking you up the mountain to bask within the stupendous views, the tour additionally takes you snowboarding, for a stroll over Europe’s highest suspension bridge, and to Lucerne, the place you get to discover the town’s incredible Old Town. See trip reviews & prices.
5. Mount Pilatus
Comprised of a number of summits, Mount Pilatus is located between Lake Lucerne, Lake Zug and Lake Lauerz in central Switzerland. Thanks to a number of cogwheel railways, cable automobiles and gondolas, ascending to the mountain’s peak is an tour that each customer can undertake and revel in. Departing from the city of Alpnachstad, the world’s steepest cog rail affords the quickest and most direct route. A sequence of cable automobiles and gondolas function out of the Lucerne suburb of Kriens. Hardy vacationers can hike to the highest in round 4 hours. A surprisingly flat path on the summit is ideal for taking within the spectacular views.
Getting to Mount Pilatus
A brief drive south of Zurich lands guests in lovely Lucerne, a spot that matches the concept of an idyllic Swiss city to perfection. With its cobblestone streets, 14-century metropolis partitions and medieval Old Town quarter, this lost-in-time vacation spot by no means fails to enchant guests. Whether it’s a live performance on the metropolis’s performing arts heart, Kongress Zentrum, or a folkloric present that includes yodeling, alphorns and cowbells, Lucerne is aware of the right way to preserve its many guests engaged and entertained. Surrounded by mountains, the town the place William Tell is alleged to have shot the apple off his son’s head can be a favourite base for excursions to Mount Rigi and Mount Pilatus.
Getting to Luceren
The Jungfraujoch is a col within the Bernese Alps accessible by railway, ending at Europe’s highest mountain station. Highlights embrace views of spectacular mountain summits just like the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau, and views of the massive Eiger Glacier that nestles under them. The Sphinx observatory, one of many highest astronomical sighting stations on the earth, is positioned right here as nicely. Views are countless and pristine, although facilities are small with only a handful of eating places. It’s a really lengthy practice experience from Zurich, taking about 4.5 hours, however the expertise is unforgettable.
Getting to Jungfraujoch
The tiny nation of Liechtenstein is a bucket-list vacation spot for a lot of vacationers. Ruled by a constitutional monarchy, land-locked Liechtenstein is the sixth-smallest nation in Europe, however it’s massive on pure sights. Those on a day journey from Zurich are prone to be extra impressed by the fantastic thing about the encircling countryside than by the capital metropolis Vaduz, though the boldly designed up to date artwork museum is nicely value a go to. The royal household’s citadel in Vaduz is off limits to guests a lot of the 12 months, however the fairly hilltop Gutenberg Castle within the village of Balzers is open for exploration.
Getting to Liechtenstein
1. Mount Titlis
A one-and-a-half hour drive south from Zurich brings sightseers to the small resort city of Engelberg, the perfect departure level for any customer who desires to get pleasure from views of central Switzerland from the best vantage level. Standing 10,623 toes (3,238 meters) above sea degree, the summit is at all times lined in snow. It takes a sequence of rides on three cable automobiles and a funicular to succeed in the highest the place passengers are rewarded with unparalleled views. There’s additionally a four-story complicated on the summit that features eating places, retailers and an ice-grotto bar. A glacier path on the peak leads guests into an illuminated ice cave.