Poland’s second largest metropolis, Krakow, spreads over the Vistula River and gives an incredible vary of prime sights. The metropolis boast historic Old Town structure, inexperienced forested parks, historically Jewish districts, castles and beautiful bridges. To actually expertise what Poland has to offer, nevertheless, take into account venturing out for just a few day journeys from Krakow.
You’ll be capable to discover mountain cities, nationwide parks, spiritual and historic landmarks, and vital cultural locations. There are numerous locations to go to from Krakow which you can get to and from inside a single day. As you intend your subsequent journey, make sure to embrace just a few of those unbelievable day journeys from Krakow in your itinerary.
Map of day journeys from Krakow
8. Ogrodzieniec Castle
A bit of greater than an hour’s drive north of Krakow is Ogrodzieniec Castle. Although this fortress is now in damage, it’s a lovely landmark with loads of historical past. The fortress was constructed within the 14th century, and it’s perched atop a big hill to supply sweeping views over the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland.
It was largely destroyed within the seventeenth century throughout Swedish occupation, and it options in lots of legends and myths in Polish tradition. You can tour the stays of Ogrodzieniec Castle, take within the views, and even see the stays of the torture chamber within the construction.
Getting to Ogrodzieniec Castle
- A variety of buses run on to Ogrodzieniec from Krakow MDA every day, and the journey normally takes round an hour. Once you arrive, it’s a good suggestion to take a brief taxi trip to the fortress. Otherwise, it takes about half-hour to stroll there.
- From the middle of Krakow, it takes about an hour to drive to Ogrodzieniec. Just head northwest out of town and hop on the DK94 till Olkusz. Here, take the DW79. Once you attain Ogrodzieniec, you’ll see indicators pointing you to the fortress. If you wish to see extra spectacular medieval castles, in your method again to Krakow, cease off at Ojcow National Park and go to its fortress, or that of Pieskowa Skala.
Directly east of Krakow is Tarnow, an exquisite metropolis nicely value a day of exploration. The city sq. is the guts of town, and it’s the place you’ll wish to spend most of your time. The city sq. is medieval, with the structure and most of the buildings relationship again to the 14th century.
The Town Hall is the landmark constructing within the sq., and you’ll head inside to take a look at a staggering assortment of Polish armor in addition to lovely work. Tarnow can be residence to quite a lot of historic Jewish websites in addition to three conventional wood church buildings, the oldest of which was constructed within the fifteenth century.
Getting to Tarnow
- To get to Tarnow from Krakow by public transport couldn’t be less complicated; trains normally take lower than an hour from one metropolis to the opposite. From Krakow Plaszow, trains depart very recurrently, and when you arrive, it’s only a 15-minute stroll to town heart.
- By automotive, it’s simply as simple; the A4 connects one metropolis to the opposite. From the middle of Krakow, head south out of town heart and hop on the A4 heading east to Tarnow. The journey takes about an hour. After visiting town, you can mix your journey with a cease on the spectacular Wieliczka Salt Mine, which lies alongside the A4 on the best way to Krakow.
6. Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec
Just underneath 16 km (10 miles) from Krakow is the village of Tyniec, which is greatest identified for being residence to the Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec. The abbey is perched above the banks of the Vistula River, and it’s now a non secular website in addition to a vacationer vacation spot.
The Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec was first based within the 1040s, and it stays the oldest monastery in all of Poland. If you go to, you’ll be capable to tour a lot of the rooms within the abbey, discuss with among the monks who nonetheless reside and work there and luxuriate in superb views over the Vistula from the abbey itself.
Getting to Benedictine Abbey
- Due to its proximity to Krakow, there are a variety of how to get to the Benedictine Abbey of Tyniec. From town heart, for example, it’s slightly below half-an-hour away by public transport. You can both stroll or take a tram to Most Grunwaldzki cease, the place you then take bus 112 to Tyniec. Here, you’ll see indicators to the Abbey.
- Some folks choose as a substitute to cycle to the Abbey; it is a notably pretty solution to get there, and it solely takes 45 minutes. The journey takes you thru the scenic Bielansko-Tyniecki Park. Simply cycle alongside the trail that hugs the northern banks of the Vistula River and cross over when you see indicators to the Abbey. On the best way again you can cease by Krakow Zoo.
- If you might have extra time in your arms, you can take a scenic boat journey down the Vistula River to the Abbey. This takes round an hour and a half, and boats depart from proper subsequent to Wawel Royal Castle.
- On the opposite hand, chances are you’ll wish to merely take a taxi if you happen to’re a bit pressed for time. From town heart, it solely takes 20 minutes to Tyniec and will value round 60zl.
- Yet one other solution to benefit from the Abbey’s sights is to take a sightseeing cycle tour to Tyniec, passing by way of Wolski Forest on the best way and stopping off at varied historic and cultural landmarks as you go. Once you arrive, you’ll get to discover the church, go to the museum, and study all in regards to the Abbey from your information. See trip reviews & prices.
East of Krakow is Auschwitz-Birkenau, a former Nazi focus camp from World War II. There are many excursions that take guests to the camp for a day from Krakow, and it’s a must-see vacation spot for these considering WWII historical past.
Although it may be a tragic and reflective go to, you will need to find out about this darkish time in Europe’s historical past. Auschwitz-Birkenau is residence to a big State Museum, and most of the buildings stay in place. You can see the place prisoners lived, labored and died in horrific methods underneath the Nazi regime.
Getting to Auschwitz-Birkenau
- There are a few methods to get to Auschwitz-Birkenau by public transport. By bus, it takes round an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. The buses recurrently depart from Krakow fundamental station and can drop you off proper subsequent to Auschwitz. Another choice is to take an hour and a half prepare trip to Oswiecim station, which is 2 kilometers from Auschwitz. From right here, you may both stroll for half-an-hour or take a brief taxi or bus trip to the somber website.
- By automotive, it solely takes an hour to achieve Auschwitz-Birkenau, though this does embrace tolls. After heading north out of Krakow metropolis heart, hop on the DK7 heading west earlier than persevering with on the A4 to simply outdoors Chrzanow. Here, take the 933 to Oswiecim, the place you’ll discover indicators directing you to Auschwitz-Birkenau. There is a carpark on the entrance so that you can park at.
- Yet an alternative choice for visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau is to take a guided tour. This may be very fashionable with lots of people, as having an skilled readily available actually means you study loads in regards to the focus camp’s horrific previous. In addition to this, your educated information will educate you in regards to the historical past of the Holocaust in addition to WWII in a shifting and unforgettable tour. See trip reviews & prices.
Czestochowa is a non secular vacation spot the place many pilgrims come to worship. In explicit, the monastery of Jasna Góra in Czestochowa is a holy place and a major vacation spot within the Roman Catholic Church. Jasna Góra Monastery is a shrine to the Virgin Mary, and it is usually residence to quite a lot of vital spiritual and historic relics.
The Black Madonna of Częstochowa, for instance, is alleged to have been painted by St. Luke the Evangelist throughout or simply after Jesus’ lifetime. The monastery was based within the 14th century, and at this time greater than three million spiritual pilgrims go to Czestochowa every year.
Getting to Czestochowa
- From Krakow fundamental station, there are just a few direct trains to Czestochowa daily; they typically take about an hour and a half in complete to achieve the favored pilgrimage website. They don’t depart that recurrently, nevertheless, so one other different is to take the bus from the identical station in Krakow. The bus journey takes about three hours. As such, it’s a good suggestion to plan your journey to Czestochowa nicely upfront.
- To drive there takes round two hours, however this does no less than imply you’re assured a dependable type of transport there and again. After heading north out of town heart, hop on the DW794 and carry on it till you attain Staromiescie. Here, change onto the DK46, which is able to take you all the best way to Czestochowa.
- To keep away from all the trouble of driving or taking public transport, many individuals choose as a substitute to take a guided tour. These not solely take you round Czestochowa’s spiritual websites, but additionally to the sixteenth century Pieskowa Skala Castle, which lies alongside the historic and scenic Trail of the Eagles’ Nests. See trip reviews & prices.
3. Ojcow National Park
Just half-hour north of Krakow is Ojcow National Park, a vacation spot named after the city and chateau ruins of Ojcow. The National Park is the smallest in Poland, however its proximity to Krakow makes it a preferred day journey spot.
Two rivers run by way of the park, creating lush valleys amidst numerous cliffs, ravines and caves. Incredible limestone rock formations are main sights, and miles of mountain climbing paths provide loads of out of doors recreation choices.
You may see an abundance of wildlife, together with beavers, badgers, bats and nicely over 100 sorts of birds. There are additionally a number of castles inside the park’s borders, permitting guests to discover the ruined Gothic fortress of Ojcow in addition to the preserved Renaissance fortress at Pieskowa Skała.
Getting to Ojcow National Park
- While it’s potential to go to Ojcow National Park from Krakow by public transport, buses depart fairly occasionally, so it’s a good suggestion to examine the schedule upfront. From the Nowy Klepartz bus cease within the metropolis heart, the journey takes about 40 minutes, and also you wish to get off at Kazimierz Castle. From right here, you’ll discover numerous paths snaking their method into the nationwide park, and there are many signposts to information your method.
- To get to Ojcow National Park by automotive additionally takes about 40 minutes. Once you’ve headed north out of town heart, take the DW794 to Skala, the place you’ll see indicators to the nationwide park and parking at Kazimierz Castle. Once you arrive, you may discover the attractive nature at your leisure. After you’ve had your fill, you can drive half-an-hour additional to go to the spectacular ruins of Ogrodzieniec Castle.
- To pack as a lot into your day as potential, it’s nicely value taking a guided tour to Ojcow National Park. In addition to exploring its unbelievable landscapes, your skilled information may even take you to 2 spectacular medieval castles, the place you’ll study extra in regards to the space’s fascinating historical past. See trip reviews & prices.
Head south of Krakow, and also you’ll get to the mountain resort of Zakopane. This vacation spot is a winter wonderland and one of the crucial fashionable ski locations in all of Poland. In the guts of the Tatra Mountains, you may ski or snowboard through the winter months. Whatever the season, nevertheless, Zakopane is the best day journey getaway spot.
The metropolis is well-known for the fantastic thing about its wood villas, relationship from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Some of those now home museums, whereas others have been transformed into motels, or stay in non-public arms. Hiking choices are plentiful within the Tatra National Park, and the Krupówki promenade is an exquisite purchasing vacation spot.
Getting to Zakopane
- Lying two hours to the south of Krakow, Zakopane is definitely reachable by public transport. From Krakow MDA – the primary bus station – buses recurrently depart for Zakopane, and the journey takes about two hours in complete. On the best way, you move by way of some pretty surroundings. Once you arrive at Zakopane Plac PKP, it’s then a 15-minute stroll to the middle of city.
- It takes an identical period of time to drive to Zakopane. You’ll observe nearly precisely the identical route the bus takes. From town heart, head south throughout the Vistula River and take the 776, earlier than persevering with on the S7 for slightly below an hour. After this, take the DK47 for one more 45 minutes; this can lead you proper to Zakopane. You can both park the automotive and discover the middle on foot, drive to among the close by viewpoints within the surrounding mountains, or go for a hike within the magnificent nature throughout you.
- Another choice for visiting Zakopane is to affix a sightseeing tour. As nicely as taking you across the heart of city, the tour additionally features a trip on a funicular to the highest of Mount Gubalowka and a visit to the Tatra Museum to study extra in regards to the native historical past and tradition. See trip reviews & prices.
1. Wieliczka Salt Mine
One of the most well-liked day journeys from Krakow is visiting the Wieliczka Salt Mine. Don’t count on a country salt mine, as a result of Wieliczka is not like the rest on the planet. As you stroll alongside saline corridors fully underground, you’ll be capable to see total church buildings and ballrooms carved from salt. It is even potential to spend the night time within the salt mine, and the lodging is extra like an upscale resort than a tenting expertise.
Getting to Wieliczka Salt Mine
- From the middle of Krakow, Wieliczka Salt Mine is simply half-an-hour away by public transport, and it’s not too difficult to get there. Bus 304 departs recurrently from Galeria Krakowska; the cease you wish to get off at known as Wieliczka Kopalnia Soli. From right here, you’ll see indicators pointing you to the mine only a brief distance away.
- Alternatively, you may take the prepare from Krakow fundamental station to Wieliczka Rynek-Kopalnia – the cease you wish to get off at. The prepare journey takes round 20 minutes. Once you arrive, it’s a few ten-minute stroll to the mines, and also you’ll definitely see indicators telling you the place to go.
- It is simply as simple to go to Wieliczka Salt Mine by automotive, though it would truly take you longer than public transport, relying on the site visitors. Head east out of town heart to the Botanical Gardens and observe the street subsequent to it south throughout the Vistula River. Here, you wish to head southeast on Wielicka, which you then should observe till you see indicators for the mines. After visiting the mines, it’s nicely value stopping by the scenic village of Tyniec, which is just a 20-minute drive away and lies on the outskirts of Krakow.
- One of the simplest methods to go to the salt mines is to take a guided tour. With knowledgeable information readily available, you’ll study all about its fascinating historical past. They’ll take you round all the primary sights, explaining every little thing as they go. See trip reviews & prices.