As the capital of Sweden and the biggest metropolis within the nation, Stockholm is a must-see vacation spot. While you’re in Stockholm, you possibly can go to loads of nice museums to study all concerning the metropolis’s tradition, historical past and artwork. You may take boat excursions to view the town from its canals, or you possibly can try the rides and enjoyable at Gröna Lund, a bustling amusement park.
There is lots to see and do in right here, however setting off on just a few day journeys from Stockholm like those outlined beneath will solely add enjoyment to your Swedish getaway.
Map of day journeys from Stockholm
The small, rural island of Grinda is unquestionably a severe distinction from the massive metropolis ambiance. Part of its attraction is that you may’t get there by automotive. The largest attraction on Grinda is the Wärdshus, a big stone constructing from the twentieth century that now gives every thing from lodging to eating. You can stroll throughout Grinda in beneath 20 minutes, making it secure and appropriate for households.
Getting to Grinda
- Located to the east of the capital within the Stockholm Archipelago, Grinda is greatest accessed by a mix of bus and ferry. It takes from one and a half to 2 hours to get there, relying on whether or not the connection goes easily. One choice is to take the 438 bus from Slussen within the south of the capital and take a 15-minute ferry trip from Boda brygga to Grinda.
- An different route is to take the 670 bus from Stockholm East Station to Vaxholm Soderhamnsplan, the place you then take a ferry to Grinda. While this selection is longer, it does imply that you just get to take an hour-long scenic boat trip via a good looking a part of Sweden.
7. Skokloster Castle
About 65 km (40 miles) north of Stockholm is Skokloster Castle. Built in the midst of the seventeenth century, this fortress was the undertaking of the very rich Count Carl Gustaf Wrangel. Skokloster Castle is Baroque in design, and a stunning quantity of the inside remains to be in outstanding situation.
On your go to, take a peek within the Unfinished Hall, which helps you to see a real seventeenth century building website for the corridor that was by no means accomplished. Beyond simply the structure, the fortress is full of seventeenth century artwork and furnishings. You can admire the library, the Baroque work and even the in depth weapons assortment on show.
Getting to Skokloster Castle
- In common, it takes about an hour to get to Skokloster Castle by public transport, though you’ll have to make one change on the best way. From Stockholm central station, you possibly can take a prepare heading northwest and get off at Balsta station half-hour later. Here, you wish to get on the 311 bus taking you on to Skokloster the place you possibly can hardly fail to search out the fortress.
- A extra handy strategy to go to the fortress is to drive there, though the journey will once more take round an hour. Once you’ve bought out of the middle of the capital, take the E4 heading north and comply with it till exit 180, if you hop on the 263. Shortly after passing the traditional metropolis of Sigtuna, you’ll see indicators directing you to Skokloster Castle. There is rather a lot to see within the surrounding countryside, so it’s effectively price combining your go to to the fortress with a cease at close by Sigtuna.
An hour west of Stockholm is Mariefred, a small city inside the Södermanland Province. The city was established round a Carthusian monastery known as Pax Marie, however that was destroyed within the sixteenth century. Many of the bricks, nevertheless, have been used within the building of the Gripsholm Castle. The fortress is from the sixteenth century, and it’s a main attraction within the area.
As you tour Gripsholm Castle, be looking out for the official Swedish portrait assortment, the big stuffed lion and the entire 18th century theater. While the monastery is lengthy gone, Mariefred remains to be house to a small twelfth century church known as Kärnbo.
Getting to Mariefred
- To get to Mariefred from Stockholm by public transport is fairly easy. It ought to solely take you round an hour, and on the best way, you’ll go via some pretty woodland surroundings. From Stockholm central station, hop on a prepare heading west and alight at Laggesta station. This stretch of the journey ought to take 40 minutes and trains depart very continuously. From right here, it’s only a ten-minute bus trip to Mariefred. Once you arrive, you’ll discover every thing inside strolling distance.
- If you hire a automotive, driving to Mariefred is simply as straightforward, though you’ll have to pay a toll to make use of the street. Simply head south out of the capital and hop on the E20 heading west. Take exit 139, and in a couple of minutes, you’ll end up on the charming waterfront city.
Vaxholm is a part of the larger Stockholm Archipelago, a set of hundreds of islands which are simply accessible from the Swedish capital. Vaxholm is only a 30-minute drive from Stockholm, or a brief ferry trip. The small city of Vaxholm is completely preserved within the type of the nineteenth century, and there are many picket properties in conventional, pastel colours.
One of the highest sights within the city is the Vaxholm Fortress, which was constructed within the sixteenth century to defend towards pirates. Today, you possibly can tour the fortress and its reveals, which kind the Swedish National Museum of Coastal Defence.
Getting to Vaxholm
- There are a few methods to get to the picturesque city of Vaxholm from the middle of Stockholm. In common, it ought to take no time in any respect, because it is likely one of the nearer islands of the Stockholm Archipelago. One choice is to take the 670 bus, which can take you straight there. This departs from Stockholm East Station, taking round 35 minutes to succeed in Vaxholm.
- Another choice is to take a ferry from Stromkajen within the metropolis heart to Vaxholm; the journey normally takes round 45 minutes. It is especially worthwhile taking the ferry again to Stockholm from Vaxholm, as the town appears to be like spectacular with the solar setting over the water.
In the far japanese portion of the Stockholm Archipelago is Sandhamn, which interprets to Sand Harbor in English. The city of Sandhamn has turn into a well-liked resort vacation spot for Swedes in addition to worldwide vacationers.
Historically a sea pilot station, Sandhamn is now a vacation spot for these seeking enjoyable. When you arrive, you possibly can hire a motorbike or perhaps a kayak to see the city from on the go. In the summer season, deliver alongside your bathing go well with for a swim within the water off the pebble seashores.
Getting to Sandhamn
- Sandhamn is greatest visited utilizing public transport. You can both take a stunning ferry trip half manner or all the best way. From Strandvagen in Stockholm, the ferry trip takes two hours and quarter-hour to Sandhamn. It’s a soothing strategy to journey, and since you go by some excellent picturesque surroundings, a really nice journey. The different different is to take the 433 bus to Stavsnas vinterhamm; this could take round 50 minutes. After that, Sandhamn is an hour and 15-minute ferry trip away.
3. Drottningholm Palace
Drottningholm Palace is positioned only a few miles east of Stockholm, placing it in a handy spot for a fast day journey exterior the town. The palace, constructed within the 18th century, is located on Lovö island in Lake Mälaren. Although the structure is fascinating, the true attraction of the palace is that it’s house to the Swedish Royal Family.
Unlike many royal residences, elements of the palace is open to the general public. Guided excursions are supplied each half hour in Swedish and English, and also you’ll wish to be looking out for areas just like the 18th century Chinese Pavilion and the beautiful English gardens.
Getting to Drottningholm
- By public transport it ought to solely take you half-an-hour to get there. Just hop on metro line 17 and get off at Brommaplan. From right here, you possibly can both take a five-minute bus or taxi trip to the palace. Bus strains 176 and 323 each depart very continuously from the station.
- Another choice for visiting the palace is to mix it with a half-day sightseeing tour of Stockholm. As effectively as seeing most of the capital’s most distinguished landmarks – equivalent to Gamla Stan, Stockholm City Hall, and the Royal Palace – your information will take you round Drottningholm Palace, explaining the historical past and structure of the place as you go. See trip reviews & prices.
The very first capital of Sweden was Sigtuna, positioned north of Stockholm. When pirates attacked Sigtuna within the twelfth century, the capital was relocated. However, Sigtuna remains to be a outstanding vacation spot and an incredible day journey spot from the present capital.
As the oldest metropolis in Sweden, Sigtuna boasts numerous historic and even historic sights. You can spot artifacts like runestones that date from the Viking Age in addition to the ruins of St. Olof’s Church. Of explicit curiosity is the Mariakyrkan, or St. Mary’s Church, a Brick Gothic constructing that’s seemingly the oldest church in all of Sweden.
Getting to Sigtuna
- Although you’ll need to take a prepare after which a bus to get to Sigtuna from Stockholm, the journey is kind of easy and may solely take you round an hour from the town heart, relying on connections. Hop on a prepare from the central station and alight at Marsta station round 20 minutes later. From right here, you then wish to take bus 575 to Sigtuna; this once more ought to solely take about 20 minutes. Both the prepare and bus service run fairly often.
- By automotive, Sigtuna is a 40-minute drive away, and you may mix your go to to the city with a visit to close by Uppsala or Skokloster Castle. Hop on the E4 motorway heading north from Stockholm and take exit 180. You then wish to comply with the 263 all the best way to Sigtuna.
- If you’re keen on historical past, it’s effectively price taking a Viking tour of Sigtuna. As effectively as visiting the city’s historic sights, your information can even take you to see the spectacular Vada burial mounds and Vallentuna Church, which was in-built 1190. Throughout the tour, your information will regale you with myths and legends of occasions passed by and train you concerning the Viking historical past and tradition – an enchanting glimpse right into a previous you’ve solely seen in motion pictures. See trip reviews & prices.
Head 70 km (45 miles) north of Stockholm to Uppsala so as to see a thriving, youthful college metropolis with an amazing quantity of historical past. The fifteenth century Uppsala University is the oldest college in Scandinavia, and it’s a main attraction within the metropolis.
Also of curiosity is the Uppsala Cathedral, the biggest church in Scandinavia, the seat of the Church of Sweden and a dominating presence within the metropolis, due to its spectacular spires.
About 5 km north of Uppsala lies Gamla Uppsala (Old Uppsala). This was some of the vital pre-Viking websites in Scandinavia, internet hosting common sacrifical rites and the fiery burials of royalty. There is an outdated church and the open-air museum Disagården with outdated Swedish homes.
Getting to Uppsala
- From the capital, it is vitally straightforward to go to Uppsala; direct trains continuously run between the 2 cities. From Stockholm central station, the journey takes about 40 minutes. When you arrive, you’ll end up inside strolling distance of all the principle sights.
- It truly takes a bit longer to drive to Uppsala from Stockholm, however this does then imply you possibly can go to another great sights on the best way again to the town. If you’re taking the toll roads, the journey takes an hour. It couldn’t be easier; you simply want to remain on the E4 which can deliver you all the best way there. After exploring Uppsala, it’s effectively price stopping by the previous capital of Sigtuna on the drive again – and even Skokloster Castle when you have sufficient time.
- For guests keen on studying extra about Sweden’s fascinating historical past and Viking previous, a guided tour is advisable, as this takes you to each Uppsala and Sigtuna. Both locations have some incredible Viking websites so that you can discover. With your educated information available, you’ll actually come away with a deeper understanding and appreciation for the nation’s Viking heritage. See trip reviews & prices.