Fishing rip-off? Woman finds lead weights inside pomfret from Chinatown market whereas making ready CNY lunch
When it entails meals, extra substances are sometimes a pleasant shock, nevertheless not for one woman who found some doubtlessly harmful objects inside a fish she purchased.
The woman’s son, who goes by the username Sarpysarpy, took to Reddit to share the peculiar uncover remaining Saturday (Jan 21).
“Mum bought this pomfret in Chinatown and [was] preparing it for CNY lunch tomorrow. Was clearing the fish stomach and these dropped out,” the Redditor wrote.
Sarpysarpy described the abroad objects as “metallic and pretty heavy”, and guessed that they’ve been lead weights typically utilized by anglers.
“Wondering if the fish are still safe for consumption,” he added.
Within 4 days, Sarpysarpy’s put up garnered higher than 100 suggestions from completely different Redditors.
Some shared that lead weights are usually utilized by dishonest fishmongers or fishermen to enhance the burden of the fish to be able to value prospects the following worth.
Others recognized that the weights is maybe made from lead, and urged Sarpysarpy to not eat the fish and report the matter to the Singapore Food Agency (SFA).
According to Wikipedia, the weights, generally called fishing sinkers, are often used with a fishing lure or hook to increase its anchoring talent.
One of essentially the most well-liked provides for fishing sinkers is lead, ensuing from its low worth and ease of producing. Unfortunately, lead is usually a toxin which could hurt one’s organs if ingested or inhaled.
AsiaOne has reached out to Sarpysarpy and SFA for comment.
Fish hook in fish soup
In August remaining yr, a lady found a fish hook in her bowl of fish soup which she purchased from Jun Yuan House of Fish at Pasir Ris Central Hawker Centre.
When she approached the stall assistant to inform them regarding the abroad object in her meals, the latter allegedly “just said sorry and continued to serve other customers”, reported Stomp.
“After a while, I returned to the stall and talked to all the three staff members along with the chef. I acknowledged I dealt with this as a very dangerous incident. I was merely lucky as I chewed slowly. If not, I would now be inside the hospital already.
“The chef didn’t think it was his fault as the ingredients were from the supplier.”
The woman in the end lodged a criticism with SFA.
ALSO READ: ‘It’s none of our enterprise’: KL restaurant boss tells diner who found fishing hook in fish head curry
No part of this story or pictures may very well be reproduced with out permission from AsiaOne.